
Well, I did it! I completed my first half marathon:) I was right on track for completing on my goal time....checking my clock every 3-5 minutes to make sure I was on pace. Then I hit mile 9...... couldn't run, could hardly walk and had to stop at medic for ice, and ibprohen. That was the start to my downhill time. I was so disappointed, and probably should have ended the race walking, but that really wasn't a choice. I called Ross to let him know that I was behind scheduled time and we had problems hearing each other, and Ross seemed really weird when I finally got a hold of him. I completed my last 2.5 miles running the best I could with ice saran wrapped to my leg and finished with a time of 2 hours, 41 minutes, and 07 seconds. Placing 14,663 out of over 23,000. Even though I didn't meet my goal time, it was such an AMAZING feeling crossing that finishing line. I am now classified as part of the 1% of Americans that will ever complete a half marathon:) YEAH ME!!
I met up with my family to be greeted with hugs, kisses, congratulations, kids telling me that I stink like sweat, and Kelton telling me he watched a guy die. That takes me back to the weirdness that Ross expressed on the phone. Ross and the kids were watching all the runners a half mile before the finish line. Right before I called him a guy when down, and 7 paramedics ran to his rescue- he was was dehydrated and exhausted, but was able to get up and finish the race. In the meantime another guy went down....Hard. The paramedics took their time getting to him- by-standers jumped the fence to help. He was not breathing, seizing, and in really bad condition. Tubes were going down his throat, machines getting hooked up to him and he was worked on for a long time, and left still receiving CPR on the way to the ambulance. We don't know how he turned out, but pray that he was okay.
Warning the pictures you are about to see aren't pretty!! I don't know how many people really look good after running 13.1 miles.
Hey, at least I'm still smiling!!




5 comments:
Congratulations Christi! I'm part of that 1% as well - did a 1/2 marathon in Des Moines a couple years ago. I know what you're saying when you finally cross the finish line - you feel so accomplished!!
You should be so proud of yourself!!
You should be proud of yourself. That's a great accomplishment! I know your family is!
Congrats!!!!
Woohooo! Way to go! :) That is awesome!! I know you were disappointed, but you should be PROUD!
Post a Comment